Turmeric powder, commonly known as “Haldi,” is made from the root of the plant in the ginger family, Curcuma longa, and used in traditional medicine, cooking, and fabric dyeing for ages. Like ginger and galangal, it has a similar appearance except that it has an orange hue. The main active component curcumin gives it that bright yellow color and is responsible for most of turmeric health benefits.
A taste that is earthy, warm, quite bitter, and pungent, turmeric powder is one of the most essential ingredients in any kitchen. It is suitable for everyday cooking to add color and flavor to a variety of dishes. Be it vegetables, marinades, soups, beverages, dishes, you can add it all to reap its benefits. Rich in calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, magnesium, and manganese, it is just a perfect natural antioxidant to fight against foreign substances.
- Has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties
- Helps lower blood pressure and bad cholesterol
- Boosts immune system
- Boosts memory and promotes a healthy brain
- Heals wounds and prevents bacterial infections
- Helps reduce sore throat and risk of some kinds of cancer
- Helps fight against depression
- Ability to ease joint pain and stiffness
How to store?
- Store in an airtight glass container, preferably opaque or colored bottles, to restrict direct light
- Store away from direct sunlight, stoves, ovens, which cause it to lose its flavor and strength
- Store in a cool dry place, at room temperature